A CUTE LITTLE GUY: 10 years old / 12 lbs.
Hi, my name is Amos! I came to Mostly Mutts from animal control, and it took me time to settle in at the shelter with so many different volunteers. So now I’m in a great foster home with just a few family members and I like that better. I needed a good dental cleaning when I arrived, and I’ve received that thanks to a grant from The Grey Muzzle Organization! I recently got to spend time in the prison/foster training program where I learned a lot!
• OTHER DOGS/CATS/KIDS: I do pretty well with the 3 small dogs in my foster home, though I do sometimes have some guarding behaviors, so if you have a little dog already, let’s meet and see if we can be friends. / I tend to chase the cats in my foster home, so I’m not too sure about them. / I’m looking for a home without kids as I may nip very hard if I don’t like something.
• PERSONALITY/ENERGY LEVEL: I am a pretty friendly little guy, though I am a bit hesitant and do have a propensity to nip if I am not happy with something. I really like people and being petted, but when I’m done, I’m done. I tend to get most upset with my leader, but I am easily redirected out of my meltdowns. I worked on this in the prison/foster training program and my foster family will continue working with me too. I will likely need time to settle in with my new home too. My fosters describe me as playful and sweet. I really do want to show you my sweet side. / My energy level is 3-5.
• SKILLS/CRATE/POTTY: I’ve mastered the ‘sit’, ‘stay’, ‘down’, ‘come’, ‘leave it’ and ‘place’ commands. I also use proper door etiquette as well as have good leash manners. My trainer says I don’t need the ‘drop it’ command since I don’t pick anything up LOL. / My crate manners were good at Mostly Mutts. / I did well with my potty habits on the shelter schedule and am doing pretty well in my foster home. I did wear a belly band in my foster home at times so please ask about this. My fosters also announced “go out” as a cue for potty time.
• LIKES/DISLIKES: Though slow to warm up, I do enjoy attention from my people and once I know you well, I like butt scratches and rubbing on top of my little head. I will ask for attention. I also did well for my bath and was especially fond of the Pup-Peroni I received at the end – lol. / I don’t like restraint or hands near my face and am doing best with harness walking (with the harness left on). My foster family report that I am improving as I get more comfortable, so being patient with me is key. My fosters said it helps to announce “leash” as we get ready to get my leash on so that I am prepared for that.
• MEDICAL: Im current on vaccinations, micro-chipped and neutered. I’ve had a dental cleaning and 6 teeth pulled, so my mouth is fresh again. I came in with a heart murmur, but it’s doing well and sometimes not even detectable with the medication I’m on. I’ll need to stay on the inexpensive heart medication called Enalapril for life. I have an old man lump/bump on my bottom that was checked out by the vet and is of no concern – it’s just part of my old guy charm. I’ve been taking a low dose of generic Prozac and it has been helping with my nipping behaviors. I should be muzzled for vet visits as they stress me.
I am looking for a patient and loving family to give me a wonderful furever home! My adoption fee is $299.00, and I’m located in Kennesaw, Ga.